Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Brad's 2008 Oakland Athletics Awards

Gosh, I really suck at this "regular posting on a blog thing". I can't believe I went a whole month without posting. And I even wrote the second part of that too! Anyway, this is borrowed from an Oakland Athletics Message Board Thread that I felt deserved a blog post...

Team Awards:

Front Office: B (Hard to see a lot of those guys go, a couple seemed like poor deals, but the dividends from Nick Swisher and Dan Haren are already apparent)
On Field Management (Geren & Co): C
Player Performance: B- (Some great surprises, some great disappointments)
CBS Sportsline A's fans: A+ (My first season on the boards, even though I was only active the first half... dang crazy new 60 hr/week job)

Individual Awards:
MVP: Jack Cust (Will probably set the K's record, but who else is more deserving?)
Cy Young: Justin Duchscherer
Fireman: Brad Ziegler (Runner Up: Joey Devine)
ROY: Ryan Sweeney
Unsung Hero: Kurt Suzuki
Best Surprise: Dana Eveland and Greg Smith (Ziegler was more unexpected, but nobody would have even thought playoffs in the first half if it weren't for these two.)
Biggest Disappointment: Daric Barton (Runner Up: Eric Chavez)
Next Year's Rookie to Watch: Aaron Cunningham
So Long and Thanks for All the Fish: Rich Harden (A Douglas Adams salute)
Don't come back Award: Emil Brown
Hope he gets it figured out award: Daric Barton
Position that needs to be filled: 3B... possibly with Jeff Baisley?
Best Athletics Player in Community: Mark Ellis (Community activism with diabetes)
Best Name for a Pitcher Ever: Josh Outman

1 comment:

Kristin Zuvich said...

I'm going to be honest with you....I don't get this.